Thursday, August 12, 2010

Getting started

So I decided to start a blog about my plans to go racing next year...and here it is. I'm currently not sure what direction this is going to take, but some things work out better without anything written in stone at the beginning. Or so I hope.

As many of you know, I have spent the last 7 years getting to know the hobby of "high performance driving" inside and out. From my first track event as a wide-eyed rookie in my brand new Nissan 350Z to my current status as a grizzled instructor, I have loved every minute of it. While I continued to hone my talents (and those of my students) of making a car go around track as quickly as possible, I always knew that there was another step to take. And that brings us to today.

My own desires, a bunch of peer pressure, and the all-important encouragement from my lovely wife have led me to make the decision to go wheel-to-wheel racing next year. My plan is to campaign my car in the German Touring Series (GTS) in the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). The GTS category is made up of 6 classes based solely on horsepower-to-weight ratio. My current plan is to race my car in the GTS-2 class, which is made up of cars with hp/wt ratios of 18.49 to 14.50. With a little ballast, the car should be right at the top end of the class ratio.

Speaking of my car, here she is in all her "glory":

A 1993 BMW 325is with the engine from a 1995 BMW M3

IMG_8145

She may not be much to look at, but she has it where it counts. She is currently over at Competition Cages getting a new, improved, NASA-legal cage installed. I hope to have her back by the end of the month so that I can continue her transformation from a "track car" to a "race car".

I don't know where this little journey of mine is going to take me, but I'm quite certain it is going to be a blast getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment